Sunday, March 11, 2012

Jennings Farm



On Wednesday, one of my Facebook friends shared a rather discturbing video about our food supply. Click here to watch http://www.robynobrien.com/.  I learned that it seems as though the antibiotics and hormones in the food we consume is making us sick.  Furthermore, the researcher finds the the rise in childhood food allergies may be linked to changes made to our food by the inclusion of genetically engineered ingredients.

I felt compelled to look further into finding healthier food for my family to eat.  When I went to ShopRite on Thursday, I purchased a few boxes of organic breakfast cereal.  They were on sale, so it turned out that they actually cost less than some of the conventional cereals we usually eat.  Price is definitely a concern.  I had never gone fully organic, because it can be much more expensive.  I also checked out the organic produce section.  The fruits and vegetables are generally more expensive and there is less of a selection.  I think I will slowly introduce the organic versions of the produce we eat the most.

When I got home from the store, I started researching organic meats on the internet.  I was surprised to find two local farms where I can purchase grass-fed beef, pork and poultry.  They also sell eggs.  Yesterday I made a trip to one of the farms, Jennings Farm in Medford.  I don't know what I was expecting, but when I arrived, I found the whole setting to be quite charming.  There were horses and cows grazing in their respective pastures.  I approached the farmhouse and knocked on the door.  I small woman answered and introduced herself as MaryBeth.  She opened her cooler full of wrapped and frozed cuts of beef.  I purchased a small variety of meats to try and a dozen fresh eggs.

We are going to have the ribeye steaks for dinner on Wednesday night.  I will update then with our reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment